MEDIA STAKEOUT BY THE AFRICAN MEMBERS OF THE SECURITY COUNCIL ON THE SITUATION IN SUDAN, 17TH APRIL 2023 AT 1.00 PM
· As you are aware, over the weekend, some deadly clashes started between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Sudan and have reached a dangerous level as of today; this could escalate into a full-blown conflict, thereby undermining the stability in Sudan and progress made towards a peaceful transition to democracy;
· The A3, namely, Gabon, Mozambique and Ghana, wish to take this opportunity to express our deep concern over these developments and to strongly condemn the ongoing armed confrontation between the two sides throughout Sudan. We regret the loss of lives amongst civilians including international humanitarian workers, and the destruction of property and wish the injured a speedy recovery;
· To this end, we wish to reiterate the AU’s call for an immediate ceasefire by the two parties without conditions, in the supreme interest of Sudan and its people in order to avoid further bloodshed and harm to innocent civilians; to protect civilians, especially women, and children; and to provide humanitarian support to civilians caught up in the conflict;
· We strongly appeal to the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces to swiftly embrace, in the spirit of the Ramadan season, a peaceful solution and inclusive dialogue to resolve their differences as a means to promote stability, and respect the wishes of the people of Sudan for restoration of democracy, constitutionalism, rule of law and freedom;
· We particularly urge the Sudanese authorities to open their airspace to allow the three (3) Heads of State delegated by IGAD to travel to the Sudan and help mediate between the parties;
· While calling on the SAF and RSP to halt all activities, we strongly reject any external interference that could complicate the ongoing situation in Sudan;
· On that score, we reiterate our commitment to the respect for the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and independence of the Republic of Sudan;
· In line with the AU Communique issued on 16th April 2023, we urge the countries of the region and other stakeholders to support ongoing efforts to return the country to the transition process towards a constitutional order.
· I thank you.