PRESS STAKEOUT ON THE SITUATION IN LIBYA (UNSMIL) By His Excellency Michel Xavier BIANG,
Ambassador, Permanent Representative on behalf of the A3
WEDNESDAY, 16 MARCH 2022
1. We the A3, namely Gabon, Ghana and Kenya, have just come from the Council briefing on the situation in Libya where we have reiterated our solidarity with the people of Libya.
2. We have noted the great strides they have made especially in the past year and a half in the peace process. They have heavily invested in this, working together and with the support of the United Nations, the African Union, neighboring states and other partners.
3. We have therefore expressed great concern about the political stalemate, and its potential to draw back on the gains made so far.
4. We have urged calm and encouraged the parties to engage in dialogue. We have encouraged the United Nations, the African Union and the international community to support Libya in the process of national dialogue and reconciliation.
5. We acknowledge the desire of the people of Libya to hold elections and elect their leaders, and support them in this. The large number of people who have registered as voters testifies of this. We however urge them to establish a strong constitutional framework that enjoys the widest possible consensus on which they hold the elections. We have urged them to ensure that the process is inclusive of all groups of society including women and the youth if it is to enjoy sustainable outcomes.
6. We continue to caution against foreign interference in Libya, including through the continued presence of foreign fighters and mercenaries, We call on all involved to withdraw their fighters, forces and mercenaries from Libya and allow space for the people of Libya to dialogue.
7. Finally, we reaffirm our respect for Libya’s territorial integrity and sovereignty.